20 January 2012

YA Book Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Release Date: 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: eBook
Source: Purchased from B&N

Get a copy! Amazon | Barnes & Noble
(currently only $0.99 for Kindle & Nook!!)

Goodreads description:
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side...
My Thoughts...

Honestly, when I started this book, I was fairly certain that I was completely burned out on angle books.  That's the only real explanation that I can off for how long it took me to get around to reading this one! However, don't be put off by a previous fascination and disillusionment like I was because Unearthly is the angel book that I would recommend to EVERYONE.  It's that good.

Clara is part-angel, which comes as no surprise from the description.  However, she's really just a normal teenage girl struggling to fit in.  I loved that she was alternately very strong and very vulnerable. For me, she became a very real character very quickly (and if you know me, characters are of hte utmost importance).  Clara lended the story a lot of credibility because she was this girl struggling to fit in, find her purpose, make friends, and just LIVE.

The boys are fabulous as well and the love triangle aspect that we've all come to expect (and sometimes enjoy like a guilty pleasure) felt natural and not overdone.  I truly liked the relationship that Clara had with both boys because they were each so different--one being her "purpose" and the other being real feelings.  (As a note, I am TEAM TUCKER...you know, in case you're curious.  But he's mine so back off.) ;)

Unearthly is a very well-written, quick-paced read that provides enough action and romance to suit many fans.  Even if you thought you were "burned out" on angle books, I would encourage you to give this one a shot because it was worth every moment (and you'll be dying to read the sequel).

 

6 comments:

Katie Dinesa said...

After reading this one I didn't feel the same. Initially I really liked it, but looking back it was okay. I'm glad you liked it though! (:

Jessi said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did! I'll admit that I think at least part of it was that I had book #2 waiting to be read immediately following this one. :)

Danny Bookworm said...

*claps hands* Ohhh I'm so happy you liked it!! Now, you have to get Hallowed and be blown away, because Hallowed is even better! I agree, the love triangle was Ok here and this although I normally don#t like them... Oh and Hallowed will break your heart.. *sigh* 

Alexa Kalas said...

I have heard nothing but great things about this one. Everyone always says that even if you think you've read too many angel books that this is the exception to the rule. I will have to read this one soon!

Thanks for the great review. 

Giselle said...

Great review I'm glad you gave it a try even though it was an angel book. I almost passed it up bc of that too I've had very bad lucck with them so I was a bit wary. But yes it's fabulous and THE angel book to read! :D

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

kimba88 said...

i just finished Hallowed. I love this series. Great review!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so go ahead and leave some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Barnes & Noble
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Don't Eat Worms kit by Lorie Davison